Sunday, August 19, 2012

Welcome back! Your dreams were your ticket... away??

 At this point, if the reality of school has not hit you.  I am sure it will... soon.  Very, very soon..

I want to wish all of you a hearty "welcome back."  We certainly have a great deal to do, starting on Wednesday.  For those of you with me for Social Studies this year, allow me to give you a Top 5 list of things that you might want to consider doing before we meet on Wednesday.


5- Get some rest.  You will need it.  I anticipate the work starting on Wednesday and going until May 28.  (I will give you the 29th off and with graduation tentatively scheduled for the 30th, it works out well.)

4-  Check out the elements on my homepage at the school website.  Click here.
These items will help you get a better feel for what you are up against, including syllabi for the next two weeks.

3-  Pay some attention to the basic ideas of the political campaigns.  We will start very soon with a weekly analysis on them, indepth with the use of technology helping us.

2- Be ready to declare some type of knowledge that you have acquired this summer.  This gives you two days to find something, anything, that would represent knowledge you have acquired and the ability to showcase it.

1-  Reflect on what you want out of this year.  Don't enter your last year at Julian as a vacuous being with no expectations.  Think about where you succeeded last year.  How are we going to duplicate that success this year?  Think about where you fell short last year.  How are we going to avoid that same condition this year?  If you come in with at least three real and defined goals, I assure you that I and the other team teachers will do our best to help you achieve them.  Don't say, "Do well in school." Rather, say, "I don't want to have a single missing homework assignment."  Don't say, "Be good."  Rather, say, "I don't want to get a detention or referral this year."  Don't say, "Get into good classes at the high school."  Rather, say, "I want to be placed in all Honors classes" or "I want to be able to choose which Honors classes I want to take next year."  Think carefully because once Wednesday rolls around, the time for thinking is combined with the time for action.

I wish you nothing but the best in these next couple of days.  Come Wednesday- Welcome to 8.2 Social Studies!
All best.
 Mr. Kannan


Photo courtesy of http://www.flickr.com/photos/prince_tigereye/2506033318/sizes/o/in/photostream/
with rights stipulated http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

No comments:

Post a Comment