Thursday, December 13, 2012

“I hear the train a comin/’/ It’s rollin’ round the bend. And I ain’t seen the sunshine since, I don’t know when:” The flickers and embers of World War I


I have been told by many a student that the two “most depressing units” I teach are the Holocaust and the World War I units.  Indeed, this rite of passage is nearly upon our students.  We have some small work to endure before we engage in this, but this is where we are.

The “train’s a comin’” indeed.  Dear Mr. Cash was prophetic in his insight…

This week’s work in Social Studies should be done primarily in class.  Certainly, it can be done outside of class.  Yet, I anticipate that if students utilize their in class time well, they would be able to finish the work without having to devote as much time outside of class.  My hope is that this would help students budget their time so that other work, more pressing work that needs to be done, can be completed in thorough and worthwhile fashion.

Monday- Wednesday- In class work on Chapter 20 Enrichment sheet.  Make progress so that it can be finished by the end of Thursday’s class period.  Individual conferences will be held with students as they work to ensure that time can be used well. 
Thursday- Chapter 20 Enrichment Sheets will be collected by the end of the period.  On this particular task, NO EXTENSIONS CAN BE GRANTED.  THIS SHOULD NOT EXTEND PAST THURSDAY.  WE HAVE SO MUCH MORE TO DO.  ADHERENCE TO DEADLINES IS ONE OF THE FIRST STEPS TOWARDS SUCCESSFUL WORK HABITS.  Please make sure all work is ready to go by the end of Thursday’s class.  Completed work will be valued at 800 points.
Friday- Discuss the opening quote of the Industrialization and Progressivism Unit.  Then, start the World War I Unit with the beginning quote from Virginia Woolf.  The definition of Modernism will be unveiled.

Please help me help your students by encouraging them to complete the Extra Credit Tasks that are being given out on Wednesday and are due on January 7.  They can be lucrative.  Grades will be updated, most likely, by the start of the new year.  It will be critical for students to recognize that if they need to complete extra credit, they do so by the January 7 deadline.  No extensions will be granted for this one.

“And I ain’t seen the sunshine since I don’t know when.”  Yes, the World War I Unit begins this week.
All best.
Mr. Kannan

No comments:

Post a Comment